Archive

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sweet potato noodles with shiitake and tofu!


AHH, I wish I took note of this recipe, wrote down how much I used of each ingredient, because it was SO GOOD! I love Dangmyeon, or sweet potato noodles (or cellophane noodles, or glass noodles), because they're clear and fun to eat and so delicious. I made this dish pretty quickly, and I'll try to replicate it later and post a recipe.

I haven't posted recipes in the past because I think of my food posts to be more along the lines of food inspirations..rather than recipes. Meaning that I hope whatever it is I cook and post more so inspires the mixing of flavors, techniques in how to cook an ingredient and what order to cook it in, etc. Rather than saying this is what I made and this is how you can make it!


Oh man, don't get me wrong, I love to follow a good recipe, but more recently I've been looking at recipes just for the sake of getting inspiration. I'll look at a pad thai recipe and see what's used and in what amounts for the sauce, and what's cooked in what order, but aside from that I eye ball it and use only what I have on hand instead of going out to buy a certain rice wine or whatever the recipe calls for. But if I'm looking to make something traditional, such as kimchi or tom yum goong (veganized), then I'll definitely follow a recipe.

SORRY FOR THE LONG EXPLANATION!

Ok, so the sauce base for this was soy sauce, miso paste, rice wine vinegar, and some shiitake broth that I gathered after soaking dried shiitakes, and a little drop of hoisin, I think. I first fried the tofu in oil till golden brown, then added the shiitake mushrooms and onions, fried it a bit more, and then added some sauce to simmer a bit. I cooked the noodles, threw em' in the pan, some more sauce, simmer doowwnnnn, and DONE.


A very light, sweet and seaweedy salty flavor, but the shiitake definitely plays a big role in this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment